PH222: W6A2: Feedback
Hi Starsha,
Below
you will find my feedback for your W6A2 for 2 out of the 3 categories
in the rubric; details regarding your peer responses will be left in the
gradebook. Feedback has been provided to you in the form of “group
video critique”. Please ensure that you watch the entire length of the
video in order to gain the most insight.
RE: Completed the portfolio of one headshot, one ¾ length photo, one full length, and one sitting portrait all made using required equipment.
You
met all of the requirements in terms of the basic deliverables for this
assignment: contact sheet of 20 new images with model showing 4
different focal lengths. Your contact sheet also had the wide-angle
images of your lighting schemes and image showing the use of your
handheld light meter. Exposure information and file numbers were
included on the contact sheet.
In terms of exposure, your images were underexposed (too dark). Do you recall what "level of brightness" you had the studio lights set to for this assignment? I would encourage you to turn up the brightness to level 6 on the back of your Impact lights. Your images display hard light, although I did not see a lot of "soft light" in your images. To correct this, you may want to bring the fill light in a little closer.
I would also encourage you to ensure that your handheld light meter remains on the "incident mode" when working with portraiture vs. switching back and forth between reflective.
For your 3/4 length and full length portraits, I would have liked to see you shoot against a wider backdrop. What are your thoughts regarding shooting against a plain wall or on location? I would also encourage you to push your composition more so.
In terms of exposure, your images were underexposed (too dark). Do you recall what "level of brightness" you had the studio lights set to for this assignment? I would encourage you to turn up the brightness to level 6 on the back of your Impact lights. Your images display hard light, although I did not see a lot of "soft light" in your images. To correct this, you may want to bring the fill light in a little closer.
I would also encourage you to ensure that your handheld light meter remains on the "incident mode" when working with portraiture vs. switching back and forth between reflective.
For your 3/4 length and full length portraits, I would have liked to see you shoot against a wider backdrop. What are your thoughts regarding shooting against a plain wall or on location? I would also encourage you to push your composition more so.
RE:
Submitted a strong final portfolio to show top 10 images shot during
the course; followed directions above. Incorporated all relevant
feedback received on each photo assignment from Week 1 through Week 5. Required equipment was used for all assignments.
Information
regarding your Peer Critiques and top images will be listed within the
Grade book. Please feel free to get in touch with me if you have any
questions and/or concerns.
Keep up the hard work and perhaps I’ll see you in a future class!
-Prof. F